Friday 11 January 2019

My Small, Thin Indian Wedding - A Novel by Sudesna Ghosh




I once read a quote somewhere – Spend more on your daughter’s education rather than her wedding. I loved the quote and it had stayed with me. In an era where the destination weddings are the talk of the town, Sudesna Ghosh has daringly come out with her thought-provoking book – My Small, Thin Indian Wedding. Sharing the details of the book.

Title: My Small, Thin Indian Wedding

Release date: November 2018

No. of pages: 139

Format: Kindle book

Genre: Family drama/humour

In brief: Reema is past 'marriageable age' but she is in love and finally ready to settle down with the sweetest man ever. Unfortunately, getting married involves a big Indian wedding that will make her parents, best friend and everyone else happy. But Reema wants a simple, quiet wedding day. Will she get what she wants?

Snippet: 

“Your father’s father asked for my hand in marriage,” my mom sobbed.

I reminded her that it had been an arranged marriage. She said she didn’t like this new wave of feminism where women were doing weird things.

“Well, you’ve always known that I like to be weird,” I pointed out.

My father was calm now. He asked me about Nishant’s parents. I told him that they lived in London and about how close Nishant was to them. Then I mentioned that his mother was a white British lady, while his dad was a Punjabi. This got them all perked up.

“Show us his picture now,” they demanded together. I almost said yes until I remembered that the only photo I had of him on my phone was of him in nothing but his boxers. Instead, I swore that they would meet him soon.

By the time I went back to my room, the parents were excited. Too excited in my opinion because we hadn’t discussed the tiny wedding yet. When I wished them goodnight, my mother’s cheeks were pink as she texted her sisters the big news. I asked her to not take on any stress for this.

“Are you kidding? This is what psychologists call good stress,” she insisted. My mother was a psychology graduate.

“Goodnight, crazy mother,” I said, closing the door behind me.

She shouted through it again.

“Reema, we should have bhangra dancers at the wedding!”

Amazon Links: https://www.amazon.in/My-Small-Thin-Indian-Wedding-ebook/dp/B07KS276ZW

https://www.amazon.com/My-Small-Thin-Indian-Wedding-ebook/dp/B07KS276ZW

No comments:

Post a Comment